It’s so, so easy to make salad dressings – I never buy them any more. Why waste money and eat a whole bunch of extra additives and sugar, when you can whip up a dressing in under 5 minutes and know exactly what’s going into it? You control the fat; you control the sugar content. Most oil-based dressings are really simple – and although this has a few more ingredients than most – it still comes together in under 5 minutes. It’s a really awesome caesar dressing, that’s made with easy, on-hand ingredients.
This recipe uses under 10 ingredients, and once you’ve measured everything out, you simply whisk it all together. The dressing is quite thick – and that lends itself to meatier leaves, like kale and romaine/cos. If you want to use it on lighter leaves, such as oak leaf or butter/bibb lettuce, just dilute it with a little water.
Put the veganaise/mayonnaise into a shallow dish, and whisk to loosen. I like to use a vegan style mayonnaise, as I simply prefer the taste. You can use whatever mayonnaise you prefer. If you use a home-made mayonnaise, then that would be the best option. All you do then, is just add all the other ingredients, apart from the cheese and mix well to combine. Once evenly mixed, gently fold in the cheese.
I like to use a vegan Worcestershire sauce – it is made with mushrooms and has a nicer flavor to me. If you would rather use a regular Worcestershire sauce, go right ahead. If you’d like to keep this dressing vegetarian, simply omit the anchovy paste and use a parmesan cheese with a vegetarian rennet. You can also make this vegan by omitting the anchovy paste, and using a nut-based parmesan. I would add it if you can get it, as it adds a really great, authentic texture to the dressing. This recipe is also pretty garlicky! Feel free to just use one clove if you would prefer.
This dressing may be made ahead and stored in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
- 1 Cup / 240g 'Just Mayo' or other Mayonnaise/Veganese of Choice
- 2 Garlic Cloves, chopped fine (I use a microplane to get it really fine)
- Juice - And The Grated Peel - Of Half A Lemon
- 1 T Red Wine Vinegar
- 1 t Dijon mustard - Not Wholegrain
- 1T Worcestershire sauce - (Sub Vegan Worcestershire sauce if vegetarian)
- 1 T Anchovy Paste (Leave out if Vegetarian - if not restricted, do use it as it really gives the classic 'Caesar' taste)
- ½ cup / 40g Freshly Grated Parmesan Cheese
- Salt and Pepper to Taste
- Put the Mayonnaise into a small bowl and whisk to loosen.
- Add all the other ingredients, apart from the parmesan cheese and stir to combine.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Gently stir in the cheese.
- Pour into a covered container and refrigerate until ready to use. (Make ahead, up to 5 days).